A while back I wrote a guide on how to add a Slack team to your ZNC IRC bouncer. Soon afterward, I switched from using ZNC to IRCCloud. I’m consistently impressed by the service and stability of IRCCloud, and the handoff between desktop and mobile clients is seamless. I love it.
The one thing I haven’t bothered to do since switching to IRCCloud is figure out how to add a Slack team to IRCCloud as a network. To be honest, it’s more that I haven’t needed to than I haven’t bothered to. I’m sick to death of the constant barrage of Slacks I’m asked to join, so I’ve stopped using them altogether. I just don’t have that much time in my day. However, if I do have to do the Slack thing then I’d rather it were in my IRCCloud client so at least I don’t end up with Yet Another Damn Chat Client open on my devices.
So here are the steps for adding a Slack team as a network on IRCCloud. It’s not complicated, but it’s worth documenting in the hopes of making someone’s life just a little easier as they try to manage joining their 25th Slack team.
- Have the Slack team administrator enable the IRC gateway
- Visit the Gateways settings on your account on that Slack team. The Gateways URL is
https://$SLACKTEAMNAME.slack.com/account/gateways. Leave this tab open, as you’ll need the information from it.
- Log into your IRCCloud account.
- On IRCCloud, click Add a new network in the Account settings and info menu.
- Copy the Server value from your Slack team Gateways page and enter it into the Server field on the IRCCloud form.
- Verify that the Server port is set to
6667and check the secure port box. Slack does not allow insecure connections, so don’t forget to check this little box.
- Pop open the Advanced options section of the IRCCloud form. In the Commands to run on connect field, enter the following:
AUTH $USERNAME $PASSWORD
where $USERNAME and $PASSWORD are the values from the associated fields from your Slack team Gateways page.
- Enter the $PASSWORD value from the Slack team Gateways page (the same value you used in the previous step), in the Server password field on the IRCCloud form.
- Click Join network on IRCCloud.
That should do the trick.